On Thursday July 27th, an algal bloom was discovered in Andträsket, the lake which supplies Råneå with drinking water. The bloom consists of blue-green algae. Below are some common questions and answers about this.
Is it poisonous?
- Different algae can develop different types of toxins (poisons) that can cause a skin rash, diarrhea or paralysis. Further tests will reveal what kind of toxin the algal contains. More information about this is available on the Public Health Agency website.
What should I avoid doing for the duration of this current water situation?
- Do not use the water in the tap for drinking, nor for cooking, brushing your teeth or for taking showers.
Can you wash your hands and wash the dishes in the water?
- You may wash your hands and wash your dishes by hand. If you have sensitive skin you should however avoid these tasks. In that case it is advisable for you to wear rubber gloves while performing these tasks. Showers should be avoided by everyone due to the risk of accidentally ingesting water.
How can we get water?
- Drinking water and water for cooking is available at the following places in Råneå, (please bring something you can carry the water in):
Water tanks are available at Älvens pre-school, Forsbacka care center and Västberga care center for use at these places of work.
Where can people shower?
Can I use a washing machine and dishwasher?
- Yes. When using the dishwasher, just allow the porcelain to dry before using it.
Who is affected?
- This affects the 2,000 residents that have municipal water in the central part of Råneå.
How is drinking water in Råneå controlled on a regular basis?
-All municipal water sources are regularly controlled. This includes the lake Andträsket. This is the first time we have an outbreak of blue-green algae in Andträsket. Algal samples are only taken when an algal bloom is suspected.
What should I do if I get in contact with the water?
- Usually you need to ingest significant amounts of water to be subject to ill effects, but if you experience symptoms like skin irrations, eye problems or nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea, please consult your doctor.
Have you opened the Rånepool yet?
- No, because the showers use water from the Råneå waterworks. Therefore the pool is closed for the time being.